This position supports the operations of the Company by overseeing design, improvement, expansion and construction of equipment, systems, and capital projects at the terminal.
Essential Job Functions
- Abides by all safety procedures and practices applicable to location and position; participates in appropriate safety training; demonstrates commitment to and support of SH&E principles and values; champions safety as necessary
- Researches, designs, sends RFP, and oversees various assigned engineering projects and pieces of projects
- Helps provide research, plans, and designs for systems and capital projects, assists in directing and coordinating activities involved in operations applications, installation and repair of mechanical, electrical and/or environmental projects and systems
- Contributes to the design of other systems, instrumentation, controls, robots, engines, machines, etc. used in operational systems as assigned
- Ensures required approvals are obtained at appropriate stages of project
- Ensures that all project documentation is in place and in compliance with Company global standards, including Vopak Project Management - VPM
- Stays updated on Federal, state, and Provincial safety and environmental regulations and associated Company policies
- Ensures that all assigned projects are in compliance with Company and regulatory requirements
- Assists colleagues in ensuring allocation of necessary resources
- Assists in developing, monitoring, coordinating and controlling annual expenses and capital budgets for technical projects
- Supports terminals on customer needs for tank or facility specialization costs to achieve a same day response time to customers
- Works with Project Managers or Technical Manager to contract and coordinate with outside engineering sources for cost estimates or services
- Researches and incorporates 'best practices' into all technical aspects of projects assigned
- Assists in maintaining terminal assets records ensuring projects are executed as scheduled and documented; recommends improvements as necessary
- Ensures appropriate information is communicated to each location, Projects and Maintenance as appropriate
- Assists sales and terminal personnel in assessing customer project scope
- Prepares and delivers technical support presentations
- Assists Project Manager or Technical Manager in development and use of guidelines designed to qualify contractors
- Trains regularly on all Federal, provincial and local environmental regulations, requirements and guidelines. Follows and adheres to all guidelines, regulations, and requirements
- Performs other duties assigned by management that fall within the generally expected scope of this position
- 5 – 7 years engineering experience at a petroleum, chemical or similar industry plant highly desirable
- 3-5 years Project management experience preferred.
- Project management and/or experience with construction projects desired; experience budgeting and planning projects preferred
- Ability to read engineering, construction and other technical specs, drawings, schematics, plans, and similar documents; ability to read and understand complex government regulations and translate/incorporate these requirements into terminal construction, engineering and maintenance plans
- Ability to translate technical plans into easy-to-understand laymen's terms and communicate such translations in clear terminology
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office suite, MSProject, PowerPoint; various email and internet programs and applications; computer-based design experience preferred
- Excellent English and French communication skills, both oral and written.
- Listening skills; experience creating and delivering presentations
- Experience working with Federal, state and Provincial environmental regulations Quebec & Ontario
- Valid driver's license
Education & Certifications Requirement
- Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Project Management degree, helpful.
- API inspector certification, preferred.
- Detail Orientation
- Customer Focused
- Result Oriented
- Hands on