This position manages operations activities of the terminal ensuring safety and operations policies are followed while facilitating daily communications between customer service and operations departments at the terminal.
Essential Job Functions
- Abides by all safety procedures and practices applicable to location and position; participates in appropriate safety training; demonstrates commitment to and support of SH&E principles and values; champions safety as necessary
- Manages operations staff; interviews, hires, evaluates, and develops direct reports; oversees major disciplinary actions; reviews operations personnel performance evaluations
- Monitors employees' training needs; ensures operators follow procedures and safety rules; verifies operations training meets Company and location needs and standards
- Works with customer service and logistics on scheduling, expediting and planning product movements; functions as contact for railroad issues and incidents on Company property
- Reports incidents using quality software programs; investigates and implements corrective actions
- Tracks and reports statistical information for all operations at facility; produces monthly operations reports; reconciles inventory issues
- Proposes and implements revisions to procedures or writes new procedures as necessary; develops new workflow processes; selects and audits work instructions for completeness
- Plans and follows through with regulatory compliance; responsible for USCG compliance
- Plans and adheres to budget; approves procurement requests; negotiates pricing as required
- Develops and manages projects; communicates requirements; monitors project activity; works with local industrial and governments on project development
- Coordinates with Customer Service, Maintenance, Engineering, and Sales on operations activities including facility improvements; issues work orders; controls maintenance activities
- Monitors general housekeeping of operations areas.
- Meet with inspection companies on operational issues.
- Acts as final stop for any issues at the facility before they are escalated to the General Manager level
- Assists General Manager in determining present and future needs for programs, personnel, equipment, and facility
- Trains regularly on all Federal, state and local environmental regulations, requirements and guidelines including, but not limited to, RCRA requirements; follows and adheres to all guidelines, regulations, and requirements
- Performs other duties assigned by management that fall within the generally expected scope of this position
- 5+ years experience working in terminal environment
- 4+ years experience dealing with customers; customer service focus including diplomatic communications skills; problem solver
- Experience working with environmental and governmental agencies, DOT, USCG, safety, health and regulatory requirements
- 5+ years emergency response experience preferred; response and incident command system knowledge
- Supervisory experience strongly preferred
- Experience in creating, analyzing and adhering to budgets
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite, various email, internet, and sales, programs; ERP system knowledge preferred; proven ability to generate excellent informational reports and presentations
- Experience working with Federal, state and local environmental regulations including RCRA
- Ability to multi-task and set priorities; experience in project implementation and management
- Excellent English communications skills, both oral and written; Spanish language skills helpful; experience in writing and implementing processes and procedures
- 4 year college degree in Engineering, Business, Logistics or similar preferred
All Company Core Competencies as well as the following job specific competencies:
- Team Player
- Customer Focused
- Managerial Agility
- Business Acumen
- Detail Oriented
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires an employee to be in an office environment as well as exposed to outside elements. Most extreme elements are heat in the summer months of up to 100°+ and some exposure to cold of generally no less than 0° in the winter months. There will be exposure to various chemicals and compounds, including fumes and smells, some of them hazardous. The employee may enter confined spaces and work in elevated environments. Employee must be able to wear PPE required by the location. General office noise may be experienced and louder sounds and vibrations when outside. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. All environments are safe with appropriate PPE.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, sit, speak and hear. The employee is required to stand, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; the employee may be required, on occasion, to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee may be required to climb ladders/storage tanks up to 50' in height. The employee may be required to enter confined spaces. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Employee may be required to travel by air, rail, bus, or car.
It is Vopak's policy to employ and administer employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status, or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of Vietnam Era and in accordance with federal and state civil rights laws.