Business Intelligence Manager (Chemicals Team)
Global Commercial & Business Development
Internal applicant: Please be reminded to speak to your current manager before applying.
This position is responsible for leading a team of analysts that conducts worldwide product and market research, develops opinions for commercial, sales and business development projects and undertakes management reporting. Key products to be covered are chemicals, gases, veg oil / bio fuels and base oils. Position reports to the Global Chemicals Director.
Undertake Research to Acquire Product and Market Intelligence
- Keeps abreast of market trends in chemicals, LPG/chemical Gases, veg oil and base oil products in a timely manner
- Examines those market trends and develops opinion on customers/products to benefit from changing market or customer conditions
- Understands key features of petchem complexes and clusters from a feedstock, product and derivative perspective and resulting market developments
- Generates and communicates market intel to all divisions in a well-timed manner through appropriate well written reporting structures.
- Develops and maintains relationships with key internal stakeholders to identify emerging needs and business challenges.
- Works with internal stakeholders across functions and time zones to enhance their strategic analysis and market and competitor intelligence.
- Oversees a team of two analysts who conduct similar work to support the overall targets of the Global Chemicals Product Team.
Conduct Market Studies
- Takes lead role in scoping and conducting (or supporting) market studies for Divisions and Opcos
- Coordinates with internal or external parties to meet the objectives of the study scope
- Maintains lead role in external relationship with key chemicals / gases product consultants (eg IHSMarkit, ICIS, Nexant, Argus, WoodMac, FGH, etc). Maintains a healthy relationships with external product specialists worldwide to support the requirements of all divisions/opcos.
- Delivers high quality study results, which are beneficial to the company in taking decisions for commercial, business development and account management objectives
- Supports analysts in other divisions from a functional aspect and takes lead in their networking across the company.
- Initiates discussion, challenges and influences strategic management decision making and identifies opportunities for growth.
Write and Manage Reporting Activities
- Acts as primary originator of product and market reports from a GC Team perspective supported by analysts
- Takes lead responsibility in developing / managing all routine and scheduled reporting activities worldwide, including EB/SB, global newsletters, divisional product information, presentations, opinions on SIP/FIP business cases, etc.
- Coordinates with other product analyst teams eg Oil, LNG, etc.
- Coordinates with other global corporate functions such as finance, corporate communications, operations and technology, new ventures, new energies, etc.
- Prepares written reports and presentations of findings, illustrating data graphically, and making complex matters/findings insightful.
Support Business Development Activities
- Supports BD projects in building a business case for products and markets in scope.
- Conducts investigations for port and site analysis, with a view to create an opinion on the viability of the location.
- Assists in coordinating market intel with consultants and product specialists when needed.
- Supports project teams in developing write-ups for SIP/FIP or tender submissions.
- Translates complex findings into actionable recommendations.
- Bachelor's degree (technical/engineering or business/economics);
- Minimum of 5-7 years commercial and business development experience in the petrochemical sector or an associated oil and gas industry, and business intelligence experience an added advantage.
- Knowledge of petrochemical products/markets and ability to investigate developments that lead to demand / supply changes. Skills to conduct market research, manage large data.
- Ability to quickly learn and develop new concepts and technologies.
- Positive stakeholder management capabilities with strong communication skills.
- Excellent writing and ability to generate detailed reports.
- Capability to develop own opinion on key developments, and be able to influence others.
- Be able to handle multiple study projects concurrently, in different products and geographies, and work the time zones effectively.
- Leadership to manage own team, as well as work with divisional team members, to prioritize and conduct market research effectively.